Rotary opens many doors
Rotary International's President Elect, Holger Knaack, today unveiled the theme for the upcoming Rotary year 2020-21 at the International Assembly. In that speech, he shared his goals, excitement and the possibilities for his presidential year.
He said "Rotary is not just a club that you join, it is an invitation to endless opportunities. Therefore, the theme for our year is -- Rotary Opens Opportunities."
* "Opportunities to eradicate polio, to mentor youth, to grow professionally, to get involved in great local and international projects, to improve the environment."
* "We are people from different backgrounds, different generations languages and cultures. And that diversity makes us great."
* "Over the next five years, Rotary's new Action Plan will increase our impact, expand our reach, enhance participant engagement, and increase our ability to adapt."
* "We cannot stand still and be satisfied with everything we have done. We will capture this moment to grow Rotary, making it stronger, more adaptable and even more aligned with our core values."
* "Every new member changes us a little bit. That person brings a new perspective, new experiences. We will grow stronger as we learn from new members. We need more women in our clubs and more women in leadership positions."
* "Rotary's founder Paul Harris reminded us that we have to be revolutionary from time to time. Now is the time to be revolutionary." One way that we will do this is by creating new club models and rethinking what it means to be in Rotary.
* Holger Knaack stated "I will be proud to continue President Mark Maloney's strong commitment to growing. I want you to think about how we can organically and sustainably grow Rotary, keeping our current members and winning new members."
At the Rotary Club of North Hobart we have lost two members this year and gained two. Both of our new members have already made big contributions to our club culture. President Elect Holger would be pleased.
If you would like to visit the Rotary Club of North Hobart, leave a message on the website and we can organise that.
Roslyn Teirney is Director of Membership at Rotary Club of North Hobart.